Thursday, December 4, 2008
Vegetable Barley Soup
This is the time of year that I love to make soup. I have a lot of low-fat, low-cal soup recipes so you may be getting a lot of them from me. So warm up with this wholesome and healthy soup. It's easy and the whole family will love it.
4 c. water
1/3 c. uncooked pearl barley
1 T. beef-flavored bouillon granules
2 c. no-salt-added vegetable juice cocktail
1 medium carrot, scraped and coarsely chopped
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/3 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 t. pepper
1/2 t. dried whole oregano
1/2 t. dried whole basil
3 medium tomatoes, peeled , seeded, and coarsely chopped
2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
1. Combine water, barley, and bouillon granules in a large Dutch oven, bring to a boil.
2. Uncover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
3. Stir in vegetable juice cocktail and next 7 ingredients.
4. Cover and simmer 30 minutes more or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in tomatoes and mushrooms.
6. Cover and cook an additional 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
YIELD: 8 cups (69 calories per 1- cup serving)
If you like this blog, please look for my other blogs:
Thyme for Herbs
Tickling the Ivories