Thursday, April 21, 2011
Lent -- Halibut with Baby Artichokes and Potatoes
2 lemons, 1 cut in half
3 T. olive oil
1 t. salt
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. coarsely ground black pepper
1 1/2 lbs. small red potatoes, cut into 1-in. chunks
1 jumbo onion ( 1 lb) cut into 8 wedges
12 baby artichokes ( 1 1/2 lbs.)
4 halibut or cod steaks, 1-in., thick ( 6 oz. ea.)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. From whole lemon, grate 1 T. peel and squeeze 1 T. juice. In small bowl, combine lemon peel and juice with oil, salt, oregano, and pepper. In a large bowl, toss potatoes and onion with 1 T. lemon mixture to coat well. Place potato mixture in 15 1/2 " by 10 1/2 " jelly-roll pan and roast for 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile trim baby artichokes. Bend back outer green leaves and snap off at base until remaining leaves are green on top and yellow on bottom. Cut off stems level with bottom of artichoke. Cut off top half of each artichoke and discard. Rub cut surfaces with lemon half to prevent discoloration. Cut each artichoke lengthwise in half.
3. In 3-qt. saucepan, heat 4 c. water to boiling over high heat. Add artichokes and cook until fork-tender, 6-8 minutes; drain. Toss artichokes with 2 T. lemon mixture.
4. Remove pan with potato mixture from oven; add artichokes and toss well. Arrange fish on top of vegetables; brush with remaining lemon mixture. Return pan to oven and roast until fish turns opaque throughout and potatoes are fork-tender and lightly browned, about 15 minutes longer.
4. Transfer fish and vegetables to platter. Serve with lemon wedges.
YIELD: 4 servings
If you like this blog, please look for my other blogs:<"www.thyme-for-herbs.com">Thyme for Herbs